Starting in the secluded village of Powerstock (voted one of the top 20 most beautiful villages in Britain by Conde Nast Traveller magazine) walk to its castle, stayed in by kings, and then to the old railway and the house with the station in its garden. Discover Mappercombe Manor with its wide open views across the valley to Shipton and Golden Cap. Stroll through the Holloways to West Milton to locate the missing church and then return to Powerstock to find where the church vanished to!
- Distance – 4.5 miles / 8km
- Duration – 2 hours.
- Exertion – Medium.
- Max height: 340ft.
- Min height: 145ft.
- Total climb: 320ft.
- Terrain – Path, track and road.
- Dogs – Be aware of livestock and keep to the countryside code.
- Map – OL Explorer 117 Cerne Abbas and Bere Regis
- Start – Park alongside the churchyard wall (Postcode: DT6 3TD, Grid Reference: SY516962, What Three Words: loses.icebergs.untruth)
- How to get there: From Dorchester travel out west on the A35. When the road turns to the left, carry straight on, staying on the old Roman road all the way to Eggardon Hill. At the junction cross straight over, travelling along one of the best roads in Dorset, along Eggardon’s northern rampart. Follow it down into the village, passing The Three Horseshoes on your left and the church is on your right.
- Refreshments – The Three Horseshoes Inn and a little diversion to The Marquis of Lorne Inn.
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.