Charlton Marshall

Venture up into the high chalk hills and wide open landscape of the Stour Valley. Starting at The Charlton Inn, dip under a railway bridge and weave between fields, farms and forests with views across the landscape to large country estates. Trace the footsteps of ancient people as they travelled between giant monuments, now just fading earthworks and holloways. Return to the valley to follow the River Stour past an Irish bolt hole where plans were put in motion to blow up Blandford Camp. Discover the ancient ford, trumped by stone bridges, and return on the old dismantled railway, lined by apples trees which have grown from strewn cores out of passing train windows.

Distance: 4miles/6.5km

Time: 2 hours

Ability: Easy.

Max height: 300ft

Min height: 326ft

Total climb: 115ft

Terrain: Tracks, paths, fields and roads.

Start Point: The Charlton Inn. (Postcode: DT11 9NQ, Grid Reference: ST902038, What Three Words: bags.pronouns.retailing).

Map: OS Explorer 118 Shaftesbury and Cranborne Chase

How to get there: From Blandford take the A350 south to shortly arrive in Charlton Marshall. Pass the church and curve around the bend to find the pub on the left hand side.

Dogs: On leads where livestock is present and in accordance with any notices on the walk and The Countryside Code.

Refreshments: The Charlton Inn is at the start and finish of the walk

Neighbouring Walks:  The Crown, Buzbury, Shapwick, Spetisbury, Combs Ditch, St Edward’s Way and Bryanston

Parishes – Charlton Marshall, blanfrod st mary

Walk

Charlton Marshall sits on the A350 as it travels from Blandford towards Poole, along the valley of the River Stour. Activity dates back to the Bronze Age with the slopes to the south west scattered with ancient burial mounds. To the north west sits the giant earthwork of Combs Ditch, covering a distance of 2.75 miles. It is constructed out of a single rampart with a ditch on its north eastern flank, defending the south west against oncoming advances from the north east. Today it is completely overgrown, sunk into the landscape and destabilised by vegetation, erosion and rabbit tunnels, but, it is still an impressive relic and must have once been an intimidating and strong line of defence. Its history is relatively unknown; it appears to be prehistoric in origin, beginning its life as nothing more than a boundary. Limited excavation carried out in 1965 produced evidence that suggests use from the Iron Age, through the Roman period and into the early Anglo Saxon era, gradually becoming more and more of a substantial monument.

Evidence of a possible Roman villa has been unearthed, near Charlton Barrow, to the south of the village. Artefacts include pottery and elaborate jewellery suggesting a villa of some wealth. On the opposite side of the river, towards Badbury Rings, sat the Roman town of Vindocladia, now nothing but fields, while two Roman roads skim the parish, one traveling north west to Hod Hill and the second south west to Dorchester.

During the Saxon period the burial mounds were reused for cremations, continuing their spiritual purpose. Meanwhile settlement moved into the valley. Three smaller settlements are believed to have existed here with three individual manors, all of which have merged and grown into the linear village that exists today.

Charlton Marshall 1887

From the traditional village pub of The Charlton Inn, owned by the local Hall and Woodhouse Brewery, turn right, cross the main road and take the next left onto The Close. Opposite, the little red brick semi-detached cottage, has a claim to fame of once appearing on the BBC series ‘Homes under the Hammer’. Pass the old village pump and follow The Close up through the houses and underneath the old railway bridge.  As the road bends to the left continue straight ahead. Merge onto a track to begin the steeper climb out of the Stour valley into the wide open landscape of the chalk hills.

The Charlton Inn
Village pump
The first railway bridge of the walk
Climbing out of the valley

At the low peak the views look over the wide shallow valleys towards the ridge ahead, hiding Combs Ditch beneath its trees. To the south Charborough Tower is just visible on the horizon as it rises above its surrounding woodland, marking the heart of the Drax Estate.

Looking towards the peak that hides the earthwork of Combs Ditch
Looking towards Charborough Tower as it rises above the treetops on the horizon

When the track turns left, turn right into a large field. Keep the boundary on the left, walking beneath the pylon wires, and climb over a stile. Continue with the hedge, skimming Hillcrest on the right to a gate leading down to a little holloway. Turn left, dropping down the hill towards the 18th century Manor Farm. This little track clearly has prehistoric links. In almost a direct line it connects the Iron Age hillfort of Buzbury Rings in the east to Combs Ditch in the west, crossing the Stour using a ford neighbouring St Mary’s church. Its route has become embedded in the landscape, despite it no longer having a real purpose.

Approaching Hillcrest
Gate down to the Holloway
The Holloway
An ancient route connecting Buzbury Rings to Combs Ditch

Once in the farm’s little bowl, turn right, skimming its north-eastern edge and whitewashed farmhouse. Bend to the right as it merges with another farm track to follow the lane to Birch Farm Close. At Sparrow Bush Cottages cross straight over the road with the red brick barns of Alma’s Home Studio on the right. Walk straight through the farm gate, keeping the brick wall boundary on the right into the next field. Cross straight over to a stile and again in the next field to arrive at the dairy at Littleton Drove.

Manor Farm
Alma’s Home studio
Brick wall boundary
Littleton in the distance
Heading to Littleton
Littleton Dairy

Turn right and climb to the highest point on the walk at 300ft (91m) above sea level, but any views are blocked by high hedges and circling trees. Continue along Littleton Drove, past the barn ruins and through the wood for the views to emerge. To the north is the town of Blandford as the River Stour meanders around its southern corner. Sitting high on the slopes behind is the newly developed country manor of the strictly private Stubhampton Estate, acquired by Arabian royalty; its bright appearance contrasting with the surrounding fields and forests. To the south east the hills dip down to the Tarrant valley as the River Tarrant merges with the River Stour at Crawford Bridge. Beyond, the small wooded peak of Badbury Rings sits on the horizon while the River Stour continues south, hidden from sight.

Littleton Drove
Ruined barns
Passing the peak with views to Blandford and Badbury
Looking towards Blandford and Cranborne Chase
Looking towards Badbury Rings

Cut down through the open fields to dive under the railway for the second time and into Littleton Farm. Curve to the right with the gravel drive as it turns into road, then gravel again, circling the brick wall of Littleton House. The house was built in the late 18th century but has since been broken up into three separate dwellings.

Dropping down to the Stour valley
The second railway bridge
Meeting the A350

Cross straight over the road to climb a stile and join the Stour Valley Way – a long distance footpath following the River Stour from source to sea. Bear right to the drive of Stepping Stones Cottage and walk past its front entrance, over a second stile and onto a path. Skim the bottom of Newlands Manor House and the new development of Jubilee Gardens to emerge onto Gravel Lane. Newlands House was built in 1884 by Sir Charles Walters D’Oyly after military service in India. In the 1970’s the Irish Republican Army used it as a safe house. The members had plans to blow up Blandford Army Camp but were arrested at the property before they could carry them out. It has since been renovated to high modern standards including a pool in the basement, a tennis court and impressive art in the garden.

Littleton House from the fields
Following the Stour Valley Way
Passing Newlands Manor House
Jubilee Gardens in development

Follow the narrow road as it grows, past 19th century cottages, modern rebuilds, a converted chapel and The Old Inn to finally meet the river as its meander curves to the lane. From its source in Stourhead to the sea at Hengistbury Head, the river flows for over 61 miles through the heart of Dorset (an extra 4 or so through Wiltshire). The name derives from the Old English meaning ‘Strong One’, providing Dorset with the lifeblood of food and water, while dominating the landscape and its development in transportation, communication and defence.

New developments
Gravel Lane
The Old Inn
Meeting the river
The River Stour

Curve up with Gravel Lane to the main road and cross straight over onto Park Hill. Climb up the hill, over the old railway bridge and turn left though a metal gate. The land on the right is a wildlife haven, often used by many of the local residents. The area came under threat of development at the end of 2024 with a proposal put forward for 40 homes. The village was in uproar but the threat still remains.

Looking down to Charlton Marshall Halt from the bridge
The wildlife haven up for development
2024 development plan
Gate to the railway

Drop down to the railway bed to find the remains of Charlton Marshall Halt. In 1863 the Somerset and Dorset Railway was constructed to connect Bristol to the south coast. Its route was beautiful but slow, giving it two different nicknames of The Serene and Delightful or The Slow and Dreary. Just like Durweston to the north, Charlton Marshall was seen to be too small to have its own station. In 1928, due to pressure and demand a small halt was installed while the station in Spetisbury to the south was downgraded to a halt. It served only passenger traffic and was closed in 1956, except for the odd school run that continued until 1963. The track was still used by, often speeding, trains until 1966, when it was shut during the Beeching Axe, the rails lifted in 1969.

The third bridge on the walk at Charlton Marshall Halt
Steam train passing the same spot, before the Halt was constructed.
Working on the rails at the Halt

Original plans were to convert the old route into a bypass so that traffic could avoid the congestion of the villages in the valley, but it never materialised. The route now forms the southern path of the North Dorset Trailway and is lined by numerous apple trees, mostly thanks to people throwing apple cores out of passing train windows.

Walk away from the bridge and halt along the path of the railway. Cross over the next bridge, and drop down the steps on the right to meet Church Lane. Turn right and walk under the final bridge to follow the little lane back into Charlton Marshall. Turn right at the T-Junction to the main road and cross straight over to visit St Mary’s Church.

Crossing the fouth (and final) bridge
Heading under the bridge
St Mary’s Church. The village stocks at the base of the tower
Charlton Marshall, the Parish Church of St. Mary

St Mary’s dates from the 15th century, with the West tower dating from this period, it also has additional registers dating from 1575.  The chancel and nave were rebuilt in 1713 along with the additions of the organ chamber and south porch, above which is stone sundial, all heavily restored in 1895. Outside the church, sitting up against the south wall of the church tower, are the village stocks while in the churchyard is the War Memorial. Alongside the church is the small path down to the river, marking the ancient river crossing between hill top earthworks, the ford subsequently trumped by the stone bridges of Blandford, Tarrant Crawford and White Mill.

Track to the ancient ford over the River Stour
The ford
The River Stour
Returning to St Mary’s

Return to the main road and turn left. Stick to the pavement to soon return to The Charlton Inn and your vehicle.

Back at The Charlton Inn
Walk Excerpts

Leave a Reply