From Thomas Hardy’s Evershot, pass the source of the River Frome and a church whose tower was designed by the same man who designed Big Ben. Travel over the hills to the hidden hamlet of Rampisham and its packhorse bridge. On to Chantmarle, a stunning Elizabethan manor house with its own canal acting like moat – left to ruin but rebuilt and then turned into a police academy. Returning back to Evershot via the three sisters, punished for dancing on the Sabbath.
- Distance – 8 miles /13km
- Duration – 4 hours.
- Exertion – Medium.
- Terrain – Path, track and road.
- Dogs – Be aware of livestock and keep to the Countryside Code.
- Map – OL Explorer 117 Cerne Abbas and Bere Regis
- Start – Parking on the road near the Acorn Inn (Postcode: DT2 0JW, Grid Reference: ST573044, What Three Words: assure.archduke.mostly)
- Refreshments: The Acorn Inn