Split from the rest of the county, on an outcrop exposed to the mighty wind waves from South America, the Isle of Portland can be a harsh and dramatic environment. The landscape contains so many secrets with many more to probably still to discover. Explore the island, from the prisons to the cliffs and the lighthouse to the quarries, with the views never ending.
- Distance – 8 miles / 13km
- Duration – 4 hours.
- Exertion – Medium.
- Terrain – Path, track and road.
- Dogs – Be aware of livestock and keep to the countryside code.
- Map – OL Explorer 15 Purbeck and South Dorset
- Start – Parking behind Portland Heights Hotel (Postcode: DT5 2EN, Grid Reference: SY689730, What Three Words: snacks.generally.whizzed)
- Refreshments – Portland Heights Hotel and The Lobster Pot at Portland Bill.
Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.